To start off the build I came into an instant problem. I choose White Oak to use as a material for my product and I needed the wood to be 500mm with 300mm but the Oak came as 150mm. So to make the wood to the accurate size we needed to join the wood by making a biscuit joints and glue together.
Step one was to cut the amount of wood needed for the build.
Step 2 was to plane the wood down to make the wood equal and get the rough off the wood. You can see the difference from this picture and the wood in the first picture. The grains are showing beautifully on the wood after the plane.
Step 3 was to measure and mark where to place the biscuits to join the wood. Using a router cutter specialised for the job of cutting the grooves needed for the biscuit joints. The cuts were done on all four pieces of wood then in pairs of two they would slide into together.
Step 4 was to clamp them together and glue with Gorilla wood glue. This would make the joints strong and make the wood strong when cutting the slot.
Step 4. After leaving both to dry over night by the next morning they were stuck together strongly and ready to be planed once again and cut to accurate size. Before they go to the planer I had to remove all the excess glue that was dried up in the seem of the wood where the joining took place.
Step 5. It was time to start measuring out the slot joint in each pieces of wood. For this joining it was important to make sure the measurement were accurate and equal to each other because if one measurement was off to the other it could lead to the product not being balanced. To make sure I was getting accurate measurements I was using various rulers and guides to double and re double check my measurements were accurate and using 90 degree angle guides to see if everything was lining up square. Also by placing the other wood on to the other I could deter the correct thickness to cut my slot.
Step 6, was to start cleaning the waste inside the slot which is seen visibly in the photo where the band saw couldn’t of cut away any of the left wood. To get rid of this I used a smaller band saw and cut small and thin lines into the waste wood which made them weak then with sand paper I rubbed them away.
Step 7, After the sanding it was time to join the both together through the slots but one slot was tighter than the other so I spent a few hours sanding it down. By sanding it down I wouldn’t loose the tightness of the slot, if I used the band saw to trim I could accidently cut to much off which would lead to a loose slot joint. While putting it in the vice I used waste wood in-between the clamps and the product. This was to make sure that I wouldn’t damage the Oak when tightening the vice.
Step 8. After sanding for a good few hours it finally came together and it looked good. The grains in the wood made the product look pretty and also expensive.
Step 9. Last job was to measure and cut holes for my pegs because i wanted this product to be a coat hanger and a place to store hats or shoes. I decided I wanted three pegs only on one side of the product and also I wanted the holes to be cut 10mm depth which isn’t all the way through.
Using a pillar drill, the holes were cut into the wood. 10mm diameter holes.
I wanted to use more wood and to bring a bit of the outside into the product I used branches from a tree. But because this is a sustainable practice I made sure I got the branches from a fallen tree or branch. I decided that the pegs should be 10cm in size but only 9cm of the branch would be on show the other 1cm is sanded down to fit into the 1cm hole that was drilled.
Step 10. Finishing!. To prepare for the finishing I started to clean the wood by sanding it using p120 sandpaper and then a quick rub with a p240 which was a thinner grained with got rid of all the excess sanding dust that was in the grain and grooves.
Step 11, was to brush on some Shellac which is a protecting layer for the wood. This was layered down twice but in-between both brushings I gave the wood a sanding with a very fine sand paper P400.
Step 12 was to rub in some light wax. Like waxing a car, the wax brings up the shine of the wood and makes the grain of the wood look bold and stand out. Also it was the same principles to waxing car. First rub in the wax then let it dry or get cloudy/dull then rub it off with a clean cloth afterwards. This was done three times and it made a visible change to the product. After letting it dry and rub all of the wax I re placed the pegs into their holes and the Shelf was finished.
Here is the Prototype and the final product together. The prototype helped me a lot in the process of building shelf because this time the build has moved more accurate as you can see with the slots and also the pegs were an advancement from the Prototype. But other than that the product has change significantly from the original designs except for the decisions on the slot and also the extra work of putting the wood together to make the size. In the end I am happy with how my project has turned out to look like and I have gained new skills and hopefully will be able to use these unique skills in the future.