In the afterlife session we had a designer called Lee Fairbrother, who is a creative director of a company in London called Accelerate digital. In the company they design many unique things from illustrations of mascots too branding and advertising. Instead of giving his biography of how he came to creative director he gave us 25 key points to remember when working in the field of design.
- Make a plan – Plan of action in design,etc work for company or freelance?
- Portfolio – Very important it’s your advertising tool to get a job
- Know the industry – Get to Know the company of work
- Never stop learning – Always keep learning, etc ADOBE creative studio tutorials
- Understand between idea and execution – Strategy and Purpose
- Never underestimate simplicity
- Focus on benefit – Create from the end perspective
- Scamping + Sketching = Strength – Attachment
- Pretotype then prototype
- Good is the Enemy of Great
- Build a network – make yourself know by other designers, linkedIN
- Find a mentor – Find a designer or someone with experience in the field to guide you
- Get yourself out there – Start selling, Website
- Make your job your own – Career/Job
- Biggest asset is your creative team – Let them flow with ideas, don’t interrupt
- Present your work- sell your self and the work
- Be resilient – don’t back down make sure you get the last word
- Radical Candour – Be honest and give honest opinions on the work
- Choose your advice
- Should be payed more than just money – respect, popularity, job car etc
- Know when it’s the correct time to move on
- Don’t be a d**k – Always be nice and respectful for up and coming designers, give them confidence
- Work hard
- And finally make sure that you LOVE IT
There was a lot to take in but all very interesting and helpful tips for us students when it comes to getting ourselves out there in the field of design.
I feel grateful for this opportunity to listen to someone like Lee that gives us this useful information. The tips and ideas have made me think about my career in design and that i should start planning my way into the industry. One of my negatives is speeches, talking in front of people but with his tips and idea it will make me believe in myself and in this course we are given opportunities to talk about our work. So at the end of my 3 years here is should be confident in myself with my speeches. Another thing i need to do is create more stuff for my portfolio to sell myself in the field.